What is Coaching?
"The essence of coaching is developing awareness and self responsibility."
(Coaching for Performance, Sir John Whitmore)
WHAT IS COACHING?
Coaching is a long term engagement that provides a structured process and agenda free, safe environement to enhance the growth,learning and development of the individual by creating self awareness and accountability to achieve challenging goals that are sustainable long term.
THE AIM OF COACHING
- Facilitate identification of ineffective habits,behaviours and beliefs that arent supporting their professional and personal development.
- Self awareness to enable growth and learning.
- Identify Interference to goal achievement
- Accountability to action and achieving desired outcomes.
- Provide support and act as a neutral sounding board
- Gain clarity
- Stretching and challenging in a supportive and safe environment
- "How I can" not "Why I cant"
- Long term sustainable change
COACHING = PERFOMANCE + POTENTIAL - INTERFERENCE
HOW IT WORKS?
- Regular communication and meetings (face to face or phone) we recommend fortnightly sessions
- Assesment of current reality
- Clearly defining goals and ownership of goal achievement
- Action orientated
What Coaching does:
- Facilitates self-directed learning through powerful questioning
- Identifies ineffective habits.
- Increases insight and self awareness.
- Provides challenge
- Solutions foccussed
- Provides a supportive enviroment to step out comfort zone
What Coaching Provides:
- A highly strategic process that facilitates sustainable change.
- Breaks down challenging /often perceived unachievable goals into small action steps
- No judgement in a safe environment
- A sounding board.
ICF Definitions of Coaching
The International Coaching Federation adheres to a form of coaching that honours the client as the expert in his/her personal and/or professional life and believes that every client is creative, resourceful and whole. Standing on this foundation the coach's responsibility is to:
- Discover, clarify and align with what the client wants to achieve.
- Encourage client's self discovery.
- Elicit client generated solutions and strategies.
- Hold the client responsible and accountable.